Wednesday 16 December 2009

Every Little Helps



I was somewhat gobsmacked when I walked into Tesco in Aston this afternoon. Almost the first thing you see when you walk in is this Darussalam book display. I wasn't sure whether to get my daughter "I Can Wear Hijab Anywhere!" or "Thank You O Allah!"

It was certainly a surprise in the wake of the recent "Please Don't Label Me" billboard campaign. Maybe the billboards should've said "Please Don't Marinade Me".

You can even buy an amazing "laptob" (sic) - a "specious gift for children" (sic again), "very useful for incarcerated persons" (sic!) - trapped in the prison of their tiny minds, no doubt.

No "Hell: Pits of Punishment" though :-( "Full of faith-building information ... A wonderful introduction for impressionable young minds." Maybe if I asked the store manager he could get some in?

I wonder how many UK schools have books like these in their libraries or, god forbid, in their classrooms?

No comments: