Friday 4 December 2009

A new scam carpark



When I went to Sheepcote Street last night to pick Marti up from the Brasshouse Centre, I saw a sight that gave me flashbacks: a car on the back of a truck in the new carpark across the street. Straight away I could see what was going on: this was a scam carpark (scampark for short) and some poor shmuck was watching their car being towed away to god knows where, where it would be held hostage till he coughs up £350+.



I still don't understand why between them the council, the chamber of commerce, trading standards, MPs, the police and the courts can't put a stop to this extortion. In the meantime, be warned: if a carpark's got little notices up like this one, be sure they'll find any excuse to tow your car away. Scamparks are traps: they lure you in with the "promise" of cheap parking, but they make their money from the ridiculous fines that our even more ridiculous legal system lets them get away with imposing.

No comments: